Pages

Wednesday 28 November 2007

The Angels of Morgan Hill by Donna VanLiere

"The woman I am has a great deal to do with that ninth year of my life. It started out as any other year, nothing extraordinary, but as each day unfolded it became remarkable in every way. There are times when I’m still amazed that we made it through. It has been said that every life has a story. This is my story, although it belongs to so many others, for I was never alone. They were always with me . . . and still are today." -excerpt from The Angels of Morgan Hill by Donna VanLiere

The Angels of Morgan Hill is a story told through the eyes of a nine-year-old, Jane Gable. On the day of her abusive father's funeral, she sees the first black family to move into her Tennessee town. The attitudes and people in town seem to change with the arrival of this family and Jane's life is directly affected as her mother befriends them. When tragedy strikes, Jane's family changes yet again, and she learns that love comes in all kinds of ways as she recognizes the angels in her life.

This is one of those books that distracted me from my Fall Into Reading List. I found it in the library and even though I knew I wouldn't get through the list as it was, I decided to take it home and give it a try. I am so glad I did.

I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent with this book. The characters were so real and the story moved me to tears at times. I felt like I had actually visited the town of Morgan Hill and got to know the people just a little. The story made me sit back and examine my own attitudes towards the people that cross my path every day.

The biggest problem with the book, is that I have now picked up the author's four Christmas books, and I will probably not make it through the reading list at all. C'est la vie.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors