Pages

Saturday 8 March 2008

Wilted

I'm sitting here looking at the houseplant next to the couch and noticing how wilted it looks. This isn't unusual in my house, and I do try to remember the watering, but unlike children, the plants just suffer in silence. Their leaves will slowly droop, one by one, and yet they never say a word.

I only keep two or three very specific varieties around, because they have stood the test of time. They are forgiving when I forget to water them and perk right back up with a little attention. If I write down a schedule and stick with it, the plants are much happier. They get water and fertilizer at regular times and look better for it.

So I'm looking at my plant and thinking it probably needs water and it got me thinking about the work I'm trying to do. When I write, my mind works best if I stick with a schedule and force myself to write at regular times. If I let it go, thinking I'll get to it later, later takes a long time to come. Like the plant getting ignored because it isn't as loud as the kids - the writing gets ignored because there are so many other things that need to be done too. On the other hand, my plant seems happy when I empty the last of my water bottle onto it everyday. It isn't much but at least it's something. And if I manage to write everyday, even if it's only for 15 minutes, at least it's something.

Now, I better go water that plant.

3 comments:

Julie Wright said...

amen sister! I am in that exact boat. I feel wilty when I'm not writing too. Great analogy.

Annette Lyon said...

Great post. And so true. I find I'm a much happier and more balanced person if I'm writing at least a little bit on some regular basis. It's the writer's water!

Karlene said...

I totally agree. Great analogy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors