Pages

Tuesday 11 March 2008

Full of Beans

Okay, we're not full of beans yet, but I'm working on it. Over the last several months I've been trying to eat better and incorporate healthier foods into my diet. I've also tried to get the family to make better food choices as well. They are pretty tolerant when I introduce new recipes using beans and whole grains. Sometimes they will say how good something is, so I think I have a hit. When I serve the leftovers the next night, the kids moan about having to eat it again. When I mention how much they liked it the previous night, they roll their eyes and inform me they were just trying to be polite.

If I'm going to make better food choices, the family is going to have to eat better too. I've converted everyone over to stevia - a natural, calorie-free sweetener. I make my own yogurt and the kids will eat it plain with a drop or two of stevia. My youngest daughter a puts little stevia in herb tea. She also likes to sprinkle ground flax seed on her cereal in the morning. So we do some things right. But I'm still trying to figure out how to get them to love beans and more of the whole grains.

They like to read labels with me and are becoming more aware of all the hidden sugars in the foods they like. They also like to cook. So I'm on the hunt for some great healthy recipes or ideas about how to incorporate beans and whole grains into our meals. I'd love to hear any suggestions or ideas you have for this and also for healthy eating in general.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors