Pages

Tuesday 8 January 2008

BIAM Update

So my BIAM udate goes something like this. I worked on a synopses for another novel for part of the afternoon, and then read several chapters in my current work-in-progress. I am also studying a book called Hooked, all about writing stronger opening chapters. I didn't add any words to my word count, but I am catching up so that I can.

Tonight I spent some time reading the beginnings of the novel I started working on in November. Because lots of life happened during December, I haven't looked at the story for over a month. This is the book I want to work on for the BIAM, but before I can actually add more to it I have to remember how the story was unfolding in the first place. I did start with an outline for this one, but it didn't take me long to deviate so far from it, that referring back to it is no help at all. Anyway, I was quite pleased with what I read. I always worry when I write something so fast that I will just be making extra work for myself in the long run.

Because I am studying the book Hooked right now, I really focused on the beginning of my book. The first chapter of the current novel is good as far as hooks go, but of course it can be made better. I really want to work on it and make it stronger, because if the first line and paragraph and chapter don't draw the reader in, it doesn't matter how well-written the rest of the book is or how compelling the story is, the reader will never read far enough to appreciate it. I do believe the story I'm writing is compelling, so I want the reader to get caught up in it right from the first sentence.

On top of the BIAM challenge, I want to get this first chapter polished so I can enter it in the LDStorymakers "First Chapter" contest this March. The contest is valuable especially because the entry is returned with feedback from the judges. So I have my work cut out for me, but I do think I am finally getting back in the groove.

2 comments:

Don said...

I also always worry about stuff I write fast, fearing that I'm just throwing worthless garbage on the page.

More often than not, however, the stuff I write fast is better than the stuff I labor over. It still needs a lot of polishing, but the voice is more natural, and the thoughts flow more smoothly.

Good luck with this month's BIAM. And I might just have to check out that Hooked book - sounds interesting.

Stephanie Humphreys said...

I think you are right. The stuff I write fast does turn out better than the stuff I labor over.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors