Pages

Sunday 11 January 2009

Something to Think About

ali over at Girl in a Whirl challenged her readers a few days ago. Here is some of what she had to say:

"Sometime in November I was listening to the Glenn Beck show when he spoke on several things we should do to personally be prepared for what is to come. Not so much as physically prepared as spiritually, personally, prepared.

"Glenn said that we need to find ourselves. He said,

"Who are you really? What do you believe? Have you been pushed and challenged? Do you know where you stand? Can you support it with real facts?

"I would like to challenge you to answer these questions, as they come, on your own blog, and/or in my comment trail."

So here goes.

Who am I?

My first response is that I am a Daughter of God. Knowing this gives me the courage to go forward in life with my head high. I know He is behind me and like any good parent, will be there to pick me up when I fall - which is probably far too often. Knowing who my Father is gives me the perfect example to follow in everything I do. It helps me be a better wife, parent, and friend. And because I know I am the daughter of a divine being, I know I have the potential to reach great heights. How reassuring that is during the dark times and how empowering it is during the good times.

What do I believe?

I believe God loves all of us. I believe we are his children and I believe he has a plan for us. He wants every one of us to learn and grow. He wants to to stretch ourselves and become the best we can be. The potential for great and marvelous things lie within each of us. And most of all, I believe He will never leave us to do this on our own.

Have I been pushed and challenged?

Yes. Often. Many times it's as a result of the decisions I've made and many times it's just because life happens. But every challenge has brought great growth and increased strength. I can honestly say that I appreciate all the difficulties I've had. And over the years as I've learned to like myself more, I realize that the person I am today is shaped by the challenges of yesterday. I wouldn't change a single moment.

Do I know where I stand?

Definitely. I have a testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have strong beliefs about the type of community and country I want to raise my children in. Too often, I let opportunities to state my position pass me by because I don't speak up enough, but I am firm in my beliefs.

Can I support my position with real facts?

I believe I can support my position with real facts, but I am always reading and adding to my knowledge because I love to learn. I do need to be more consistent in my study of the gospel, but I'm working on it and I know that every little bit helps. Every morning I get out of bed with a thirst for learning and growing. Hopefully, I know who I am and have clear enough goals that the things I do each day will help strengthen my resolve to be a better person and stand firm.

I'm not nearly so eloquent as ali - her post is definitely worth a read - but it is certainly a good exercise in examining ourselves a little. So how about you? Who are you?

1 comment:

ali cross said...

Stephanie, that was just plain awesome. I thought it was funny when I got the end and you said you weren't as eloquent as me, because I had been thinking WOW that you had done such an amazing job.

I love your answers. I especially liked,

"How reassuring that is during the dark times and how empowering it is during the good times."

I'm going to have to remember that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors