Pages

Monday 5 January 2009

My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison

"After her boyfriend dumps her for her older sister, sophomore Savannah Delano wishes she could find a true prince to take her to the prom. Enter Chrissy (Chrysanthemum) Everstar: Savannah’s gum-chewing, cell phone–carrying, high heel-wearing Fair Godmother. Showing why she’s only Fair—because she’s not a very good fairy student—Chrissy mistakenly sends Savannah back in time to the Middle Ages, first as Cinderella, then as Snow White. Finally she sends Tristan, a boy in Savannah’s class, back instead to turn him into her prom-worthy prince. When Savannah returns to the Middle Ages to save Tristan, they must team up to defeat a troll, a dragon, and the mysterious and undeniably sexy Black Knight. Laughs abound in this clever fairy tale twist from a master of romantic comedy."

I've read and enjoyed several of Janette's books but this one added a new twist by throwing the characters into the middle of a fairy tale. Each time I thought I had the story figured out, a new problem would get me thinking again. Many girls dream of a fairy godmother to solve their problems but the one sent to help Savannah is a great twist on the classic character and not what anyone would hope for in a magical helper. Throughout the story, Savannah learns to think outside herself and consider others as she tries to put to rights the wishes that her fair godmother messes up.

The thing I love about Janette's books is that I can give them to my daughters knowing they will love the story and also knowing I'm not handing them something filled with bad language and inappropriate content for teenagers. It is refreshing. This twisted fairy tale is a great fun. My Fair Godmother will be released tomorrow and I'll be first in line to by copies for the girls in my family.

3 comments:

Janette Rallison said...

Thanks for the great review!

Jenn said...

Oooh, I can't wait to get a copy! What a fun book. I love Janette's books too. :)

Barb said...

I love reading your reviews. Now I need to add another book to my library.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors