Pages

Tuesday 9 October 2007

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

New Moon is the continuing story of Bella, Edward, and Jacob. I enjoyed the read, but not nearly as much as I enjoyed the first book, Twilight. I found that I didn't like Bella's character, which bothered me. When I read a book, I want to like and sympathize with the main character. Both Jacob and Edward are likable in their own way, but I found myself wishing they would both leave Bella alone.

The middle of the book dragged a bit. It felt like too much time was spent in Bella's head without anything really happening. And I did wish that there was more about the werewolves and their background. In the end, the book left me wanting to know what will finally happen with Bella, Edward, and Jacob. I am hoping that Bella will somehow redeem herself and be someone I can actually cheer for. I guess that is where Stephenie Meyer really excels. She makes us love and hate the characters enough that we forgive the weaknesses in the book because we really want to know what happens to them.

This is another book from my Fall into Reading List.

3 comments:

Autumn Ables said...

I've felt similar feelings as you while reading this series. 'Twilight' was my favorite. Just wait until you read 'Esclipse'-then you will really be going on and on about Edward and Jacob! hehe

{PS: Stephenie Meyer is one of my good friends. I'm a bit partial.}

Anonymous said...

I have to agree. Although I think I enjoyed New Moon more than you did (the amount of raw emotional pain was so real I wanted to cry), I find it amazing that Stephenie can make you love the books so much that even if you're upset with the characters you keep reading.

This especially happened to me in Eclipse (which, if you haven't yet, you should really go get). The first time I read Eclipse was an emotional roller coaster--I found myself disliking characters I never thought I would and feeling sympathy for others I thought I had understood. It's a fantastic experience.

I'm also a friend of Stephenie's though, so the same partiality as ajoy noted might exist. :)
~Sera Phyn
www.sera-phyn.com

Anonymous said...

I love this book. I couldn’t put it down, it’s addicting. The end was perfect. I am one for romance and its progress and this book don't fail my heart. It is so sweet. This book allows me to steal away from the world and get lost in Bella's world. I think this is worth the read. It might not have any new high-flying ideas, but it hits the point. Love.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors