Pages

Tuesday 16 October 2007

It's All About Balance

I believe there has to be balance in all things. One of the greatest challenges I face in life is finding that balance. There are so many thing to juggle, and each one seems to have the capability of consuming all my time and energy.

Physically: There are things I have to do to be healthy. I have to remember to eat properly and get the right amounts of food from each of the different food groups. I need to exercise and not spend all my time in front of the computer. I need the right amount of sleep to function at my full potential.

Mentally: I need to keep my mind stimulated. I love learning and I'm always picking up new things to study and developing new hobbies. But I have to make sure this doesn't take over all my time.

Socially: This one is especially hard for me. I tend to leave my home rarely, and have few people that I keep in steady contact with. As a writer, I enjoy the solitude, when my imagination can run wild and stories spin around my head. But as a wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend, there are people who need my attention and I need the interaction they provide.

Spiritually - this seems to be an easy one to put aside. There are so many other demands on our time, it is easy to neglect our spiritual selves because we think we are too busy. But when we remember to keep our spiritual lives in balance, everything else starts fall into place.

I apply the principle of balance to the writing I do, as well. When I finish a story, I look back over the work I have done and begin the editing process. Is there enough description to put the reader in the scene, without boring them to tears? Is the dialogue balanced by the exposition? Do I give just enough back-story without taking the reader out of the moment? I think that is part of what editing is all about - finding that perfect balance in the story I am trying to tell.

When I give the right amount of attention to all the things that are required of me, life runs smoother, I feel better, and the people around me are happier. Just like finding the perfect balance in my writing leaves me with a smoother story, the confidence to send it out, and happy readers. It's all about balance.

5 comments:

Rebecca Talley said...

I agree. Sometimes, though, it's really hard to find the right balance and, sometimes, that balance is upset when life throws its curves.

This is great advice to keep in mind.

Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

I agree with Rebecca, especially the part about curves. It seems like my life is a series of curves. Or are they circles, going round and round with no beginning or end? I'm still trying to figure that out.

Tristi Pinkston said...

I think life is a lot like surfboarding. The curves keep coming and we have to learn to ride with 'em or get thrown off.

Me? I'm totally soaking wet right now -- I keep getting bucked off and into the ocean.

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Curves, circles, and waves. It is enough to make me dizzy. I agree, Tristi. I am usually soaking wet, but trying to get it under control.

TheOneTrueSue said...

"I tend to leave my home rarely, and have few people that I keep in steady contact with. As a writer, I enjoy the solitude, when my imagination can run wild and stories spin around my head."

I so relate to this. I isolate myself, kind of on purpose. Not from my family, but I sort of guard my personal life. It's not that I don't like people, I do, but friends take effort and time, and thoughtfulness, and sometimes I just don't want to be bothered. Very selfish of me, not something I like to admit, but true.

Great post, and good reminders.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors