Pages

Wednesday 1 August 2007

The Limits We Place on Ourselves

I’ve come to the conclusion that summer is the craziest time to try writing. Every time I think I am going to come up with a little time, something comes up. So far I am not progressing very quickly on my latest project. I am a little closer, but summer keeps happening.

Not that it’s a bad thing. I’ve taken time off to play with my kids, I went on vacation with my family, other family came here for our town celebrations, I am watching more kids this summer than I planned on, and my primary president is having a baby in a week or two, so the rest of us need to pick up her job for a little while. These are all good things, but they sure get in the way of what I feel driven to do.

“There are no limits to what we can achieve except for those we place upon ourselves.” –anon. I heard this quote a few weeks ago and it got me thinking about the things we let get in the way of our dreams. We can’t turn off our family, work or church obligations, and really, why would we want to? They are only limits because we allow them to be. These things make our lives complete and surround us with people who love us, and ideally support us in our dreams.

Without that support we would have a hard time achieving our dreams at all. Sometimes I think we use all those other obligations as excuses. So how can we take those limits and make them work for us? When I let my family know how important writing is to me, they become my greatest supporters. When I fill my church callings without complaint, I find more energy for other pursuits. And the extra kids I watch, well, at least I am home, so I can take the spare moments and type a few words. Suddenly, the possibilities seem endless and I know anything is possible.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors