Pages

Tuesday 11 November 2008

Lest We Forget

    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.
    We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
    In Flanders fields.
    Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

    -Lt. Col. John McCrae, M.D. (1872-1918)-
This morning we attended the Town Remembrance Day Ceremonies at the high school. My daughters were both part of choirs that performed and my oldest daughter also played the national anthem with the high school band. As always, I shed tears during our national anthem. I find it such a stirring piece of music that truly helps me remember how blessed I am to live in such a great country.

Then we walked up to the cenotaph where the flag flew at half mast and we observed a moment of silence. We always insist our children come with us each year so they will understand that this isn't just another day off of school. It helps us all remember..

1 comment:

Josi said...

You know we had a similar holiday yesterday, Veteran's Day, and I had no idea until I saw the flag in the yard that the scouts put up in my yard. I talked with my youngest about it when she saw the flag, but didn't even discuss it with my kids. What a horrible contrast to your ardent patriotism. Thanks for reminding me to make this one right. Love the picture of the soldier.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors