Pages

Friday 26 August 2011

We Need a Little Christmas

Last week I was in my mother-in-law's home and saw the Sears Christmas Wish catalogue on the coffee table. Doesn't it seem like it comes a little earlier every year? I can't decide if it is added pressure and stress or if the early reminder will relieve the pressure and stress in December.

My oldest daughter has always loved Christmas music. I used to start listening to it in late September because the month of December just isn't long enough to really enjoy all the great seasonal music. Every year, my daughter tries to convince me to put in a Christmas CD a little earlier. Last month she had an idea. Maybe I would let her and her sister play some one day a month, say the 25th since Christmas is on the 25th. The idea sounded fine to me, so I agreed, sure they would find it a novelty for one month.

Guess what yesterday was. That's right, the 25th. I assigned the kids the chore of washing all the walls and then went into the office to do some work. When I came out to see how things were going, they were singing Christmas carols at the top of their lungs. When my husband came home for lunch and heard what was playing, he just rolled his eyes. He maintains that Christmas music should only played in December and put away on December 26th, but he determined years ago that he lives in a weird household and tolerates our quirkiness with a smile.

So this family celebrates Super Bowl Sunday in our own peculiar way and we listen to Christmas music on the 25th of every month. It keeps life interesting. What strange things do you do in your own families?

P.S. I apologize in advance to my daughter's roommates. I hope you like Christmas music!
Photobucket

6 comments:

Karen C said...

Love your version of Super Bowl Sunday, even though I'm a huge football fan!

A number of years ago, my daughter and I moved to another state in December, close to Christmas. Because we weren't going to be unpacked to celebrate in the usual manner, she asked for fajitas for Christmas dinner. That's been our 'traditional' Christmas dinner ever since.

Donna K. Weaver said...

You know, I used to start my Christmas shopping in August. With six kids I needed the time for the shopping and for the money to buy the gifts. So I've always been in the mood for the holidays early on. I know people complain all the time about how they start Christmas early, but I don't mind. After all, Christmas is a season, and a season is 3 months. ;)

Amy Savage said...

No quirkiness here! Nope, not me...100% quirk-free! HA!

J/K - she can come listen to Christmas music here nearly any day of the year. Our ice cream truck even plays christmas music!

buddyt said...

Reading is a form of relaxation for me.

It transports me out my everyday life and opens up new and exciting worlds for me to explore and live in.

Carol T

buddytho {at} gmail DOT com

buddyt said...

Thank you for the giveaway.

If it is open worldwide, I would like to be entered.

I Follow via GFC

I left a comment on why I read.

Carol T

buddytho {at} gmail DOT com

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Our quirky Christmas meal is that Mom doesn't cook on Christmas day. We eat finger foods all day and just relax.

Amy - Your not quirky (wink, wink). Just say the word and she'll have your kids singing Christmas carols all year long.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors