Pages

Monday 12 May 2008

Mother's Day...All about the Kids

Thus weekend did seem to be about the kids in many ways. Since my kids are the reason I am a mother, it only seems appropriate to brag about them a little.

Saturday, I took my oldest daughter to compete in a highland dance competition. She loves dancing and has been doing highland dance since she was six years old. I love watching the kilts swing to the music and the dancers leap over swords. I even love bagpipe music (although hearing the same piece played over and over for half an hour while each competitor gets a chance to dance, gives even me a headache). She competed in four dances: the Highland Fling, the Lilt (she won the bronze medal), the Flora (she won the silver medal), and the Sword Dance (she won the gold medal). I'm very proud of her. She's worked very hard at this and loves it. She even hopes to get her teachers certificate someday so she can teach other children how to dance.

Then Sunday, we celebrated my best Mother's Day gift ever as it was my son's 14th birthday. He is such a great kid and I love having him around. He has a quick wit and always comes up with something to make us laugh, (or at least roll our eyes). I love being able to share mother's day with him. Of course, now he is going to want to get his learner's license and learn to drive. I don't think I'm ready to have two teenage drivers around.

After we had dinner yesterday, my youngest got out her guitar and played for us. She has been taking guitar lessons from her grandpa and played "Grandma's Feather Bed." She's only been playing the guitar since January but is doing very well. It is fun watching the kids develop their talents and find things they like to do.

The other day I told the kids that I fully expected them to become smarter and more talented than I am - I can already see it happening - and someday, their kids would surpass them. As a parent, it is great to see their minds expand with knowledge and fun to watch them learn new skills. To me, that is one of the most wonderful things about being a mother - knowing that the kids are developing their natural abilities and God-given gifts, but somehow, somewhere, I had a part in helping them along.

So to all the mothers who helped me along and help my kids along...

Thank you.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors