Pages

Wednesday 10 October 2012

To Teach = To Learn

Yesterday, I began teaching an adult education course in my community. Though it was a small group, we had good discussion on what makes story and on creating strong characters.

I love to teach. Being able to talk about something I love, to people who are interested in learning what I know is satisfying. What I love the most is how much I learn from researching, formulating my thoughts, and sharing my excitement. Some of the things we talked about, I do without thinking, so it was great to be able to break it down for others. It is helping me to look at my own set of skills and find ways to improve them.

It has been too long since I have written anything. I keep finding excuses -- weddings, kids starting university, several trips. Really, all the excuses in the world mean nothing. What I am really suffering from is a lack of confidence. I think we all come across this in some form or another. For me, it has been rather debilitating.

I continue to wonder if my time would be better spent elsewhere, but I always come back to wanting to tell the next story. That's why this class is good for me. It is making me examine writing closely again. It is getting the ideas percolating in my brain and making my fingers itch for the keyboard.

So I hope my students benefit from the class and are glad they signed up, but in the long run, I think I will receive the greatest benefit of all.
Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny that you talk about the excuses and lack of confidence, wondering if your time is better spent elsewhere. I've been there. And for a while my time was needed elsewhere.

But you're right - the stories that want to be told keep nagging, and I know if I want to read that book, I'm going to have to write it! So I'm back among the writers, and I wish I'd known about that class - I'd have signed up.

...oh wait, I'm in the wrong country... well, I'd have wanted to sign up!

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Yes, I think the time for excuses has passed. We can re-join the world of writers together. (And I would have loved to have you in my class!)

Barbara M said...

I hope this class brings you inspiration. I am looking forward to another book written by Stephanie Humphreys to add to my library.

Carolyn V said...

I've had that same problem. I'm finally getting into a story, but it seemed to take a while with all the distractions I've had. ;)

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Distractions are such a hassle, and yet without the distractions, I would miss some of the ideas they provide for new stories.

As for a new book, I'm just starting a new series that I'm quite excited about. Stay tuned for more info!

Sheila said...

oh please write!!! I would like to have a whole library of books written by Stephanie Humphreys!!! that is my goal... hope it is yours too. Miss ya!!

Clipping said...

I gotta bookmark this website it seems extremely helpful very useful. Thanks for sharing.

simplelife said...

Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man,Keep it up. almonds bad for dogs

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors